Fresh Start Expungement
“More than half of the 65 million people in the United States with a criminal record are able to seal or expunge their record. Sealing hides the record from the public while expungement erases the record completely.”
Do you have a criminal record? Thanks to recent law changes, you may be able to erase or hide that record!
Note: The following offenses ARE NOT eligible for expungement or sealing unless they resulted in non-convictions: Domestic Battery, Violation of an Order of Protection, Sexual Offenses, Animal Offenses, DUI and reckless driving.
STEP 1: Get an official copy of your criminal record
Get Ink Fingerprints (Cheaper but take 30-60 days to process) OR Get “Live Scan” Fingerprints (More expensive, but take 2 days to process)
Get an “Illinois State Police Access and Review” fingerprint form for ink fingerprints. You can get this form for FREE at:
- Prairie State Legal Services
- YWCA McLean County
- Normal Police Department
Go to the police department to get fingerprinted.
- Normal Police Department
- By appointment, please call (309) 454-9535
- Cost: $20, NO cash and NO checks
- Bloomington Police Department
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 12-6 p.m.
- Cost: $20, CASH only
Complete the form and mail it in.
- Complete the rest of the fields on the form.
- Write your name and address on the back of the form.
- Place the form in an envelope and put a stamp on the top right corner of the envelope.
- Put your name and address on the back side of the envelope.
- Put the following address on the front of the envelope:
- Illinois State Police Division of Administration Bureau of Identification
- 260 North Chicago Street
- Joliet, Illinois 60432
Get your live scan fingerprints through one of these companies:
- Biometrics Technologies Solutions LLC
604 Dale Street, Unit A1, Normal
- Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- Cost: $35
- Ethos Fingerprinting
- Appointment required, call (309) 340-4266 to make an appointment.
- Cost: $45
- Accurate Biometrics
1101 North Main Street, Normal
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 1:30-5 p.m.
- Cost: $50
STEP 2: Visit Prairie State Legal Services*
Bring your Illinois State Police Report to Prairie State Legal Services, apply for services, and make an appointment.
*Prairie State Legal Services in Bloomington is only taking McLean County criminal record expungement/sealings.
STEP 3: Attend your appointment
At your appointment, a volunteer attorney will review your charges and advise on your eligibility for expungement, sealing, health care wavier, etc. If the charges can be sealed or expunged, a volunteer attorney may be assigned to prepare and file the necessary court documents. Note: there is a mandatory waiting period for filing for sealing.
Private attorneys are another option to help you handle your expungement and sealing. There are several private attorneys who will do this work at varying rates. While we do not endorse specific attorneys, we do provide contact information for local attorneys we know provide this service.
If you are an attorney and wish to be added to this list, please let us know here.