We are now accepting applications for the 2017 WINGS award. All nominations are due no later than Friday, March 31, 2017 at 4 p.m.
The WINGS Award was established to encourage women in professional and personal development through mentoring and financial support and is sponsored by past recipients of the YWCA Women of Distinction Award. These women have a shared commitment to give something back to other women in our community. Because of their generosity, the award is given annually to a Woman to Improve her skills for a Notable purpose which allows her to Grow professionally and to achieve Success.
Who is eligible?
A woman is eligible for the WINGS Award who demonstrates her commitment to professional and personal growth and to service in McLean County. Past WINGS Award winners are not eligible to apply. Please note that a woman applying for the WINGS Award may not be a nominee for the YWCA Women of Distinction Award.
How can the award be used?
A WINGS Award of up to $1,500 will be granted to a recipient (or recipients) for a future endeavor that helps a woman grow professionally and personally. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Workshops and seminars (tuition and class fees)
- Professional conferences (registration fees)
- Software, books, and other materials related to the endeavor
- Certification preparation work, exams, registration or licensing
- Local opportunities for development, such as the Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership McLean County or Multicultural Leadership Program
- Other costs incurred as a result of the approved endeavor (such as child care, transportation, lodging and meals for out-of-town activities, etc.)
How do I apply?
The deadline for application is Friday, March 31, 2017 at 4 p.m.
- Click here to download and print the WINGS application and reference form. Click here for instructions.
- Complete the WINGS Award application form and all attachments. Please be concise and specific when listing accomplishments.
Diversity and creativity are welcomed in the application process.
- Provide an itemized list of future expenses (known and estimated) for which the award will be used. This list must include names, dates, and/or a brief description of the program, development activity, and/or materials.
- Submit applications and supporting documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: WOD Wings Award),
fax to (309) 662-4506, or mail/deliver to:
YWCA WINGS Award, Attn: Gena Glover
YWCA McLean County
1201 N. Hershey Rd.
Bloomington, IL 61704
How are recipients selected?
Applications will be evaluated on the following points:
- Completeness of application
- Clear statement of applicant’s vision for herself
- Realistic description of applicant’s proposed short-term goals, including projected costs, expected timeline,
and connection to the applicant’s vision
- Applicant’s service to the community
- Reflection of YWCA’s values
- Completion of reference form
When will the award be announced?
All applicants will be notified by Friday, April 22, 2016. The award recipient(s) is expected to attend the YWCA McLean County Women of Distinction Awards Banquet on Tuesday, May 17, 2016, where the first public announcement of WINGS recipients will take place. YWCA McLean County will assume the cost for the banquet (including a guest, if desired). Prior to the banquet, a photograph will be taken of the recipient(s) by a professional photographer for display at the banquet. The cost of the photograph is donated by Barb Adelman at élan Studios.
How are the funds released?
Funds will be available after June 10, 2016 and must be used by April 1, 2017 or they will be forfeited. To receive the funds, receipts of actual expenses incurred after June 10, 2016 must be submitted to the YWCA Foundation/WINGS Award Committee, Attn: Gena Glover, YWCA McLean County, 1201 N. Hershey Rd., Bloomington, IL 61704. For larger expenses known before initiating the specified endeavor, the award recipient may request YWCA issue payment directly to the billing party. For example, if the recipient is attending a seminar, YWCA can send a check to the company hosting the seminar to cover the registration fee.
WINGS application forms
If you have any questions about the WINGS Award, please contact Gena Glover at (309) 662-0461, ext. 272 or email email@example.com.